Laurie Rees

(they/he) 

Summary

I have always been curious about material science, the craft of objects and museums since I was very young. Whether that be collecting trinkets, making or crafting, or simply wandering around museums observing. I never really knew what a conservator was until I came across Conservation at Lincoln on my search for degree courses. 

Heritage and conservation interest me because I have never been excited by taking an ‘ordinary’ career path, and I find the breadth of possibilities within conservation so exciting. Problem solving, creativity, different engaging projects and materials and plenty of fascinating conversations. 

I am most interested in textiles conservation, as well as replicas and the use of craft practise in conservation. I also have an interest in natural history conservation, fine art conservation and folklore. 

Career Aspirations

My intention after graduating this summer is to apprentice as a tattoo artist, as well as find conservation-based internships and projects alongside this. Beyond that I want to pursue further training in conservation and go on to post-graduate study. 

In the future I’m hoping to further explore textiles conservation, as this is an element of my practise I would like to refine and research further. Currently, I am considering the University of Glasgow’s MA in Textiles Conservation. Alternatively, I may go on to study at West Dean, as the MA in Craft Practise also calls to me. I hope to eventually undertake a PhD, wherein I hope to further explore replication, craft and conservation to a more refined degree. 

Other Projects

Throughout my experience as a BA(Hons) student, I have been involved with a few very different projects outside of my academic studies. 

In the summer of my first year, I travelled to Iceland with a group of my peers to undertake cataloguing, cleaning and disaster response for the Technical Museum of East Iceland, which had been damaged during a mudslide in 2020. During my time there I undertook conservation of a sewing machine, a sewing thread storage box and a telecommunications equipment. 

In my first year I re-founded the Conservation of Cultural Heritage society at the university, running craft sessions, trips to local craft fairs and study socials – the society was then adopted by the following year group. 

In my second year I undertook a full-time 3-month internship at Lincoln Conservation, meeting some wonderful conservators and learning so many new skills. Including Architectual Paint Research (APR), microscopy and analysis ofn paint samples, working on-site and undertaking cleaning on some paintings. 

From this internship, in the summer of my second year I undertook the replication of a 19th Century bonnet made by the mother of D.H. Lawrence: Lydia Lawrence. Funded by the Undergraduate Opportunities Scheme (UROS) and supervised by Senior Technician Celeste Sturgeon and Co-course leader Leah Warriner-Wood. The project involved reconstructing the bonnet using a period sewing machine and making a useable pattern for the use of the D.H Lawrence Birthplace Museum. 

From this project, I have had the opportunity to speak at DMU’s Making Historical Dress: Learning from Making conference in March and have had my article published in the UROS open access journal. I will also be speaking at the ICON Textile group symposium in May, presenting a poster of my work. 

Exhibition Objects

Click on the image to learn more.